22.8.11

The Gourmet Club / Tanizaki Junichiro

Over my hollidays in Frnace I got to read 'The Gourmet Club : a sextet' by Tanizaki Junichiro. Six short stories representative of his broad career.
If you're a fan of Tanizaki you will find his brilliant familiar writing in every line, story. If haven't heard of him this compilation gives yu a real good impression of he's about.

I loved 'The Childern' because of the cruel child's play worded so finely that you can actually feel it. 'Mr. Bluemond' because of it's weird twist in storyline. 'The Gourmet Club' because I wanted to get up and eat all Azian food I could find; which I adore anyway.
Everytime I read Tanizaki I am struck by his passion for life, people and his attention to everything around him and picking out that you yourself would bruch off as common, and make into something extraordinary.

No comments: